I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Jeremiah 38-40; Psalms 74 & 79

Hello! I've taken quite the hiatus over the holidays but am looking to get back on track! I've taken this "read a Bible in a year" and turned it into "read through the whole Bible when I have time"...not good. I need to work on that... now back to Jeremiah!

Jeremiah is thrown into a cistern and left for dead after he continues to preach of Jerusalem's impending doom from Babylon. He is rescued, but the king still refuses to listen and the city is ultimately destroyed---just like God said. God does leave a remnant of His people and they are instructed to work under the Babylonians.

The amount of crap that Jeremiah puts up with for his beliefs is crazy! I wish I could say I was that strong.

The Psalms correspond as outcries from the people during all of this. They are pleading with God to show mercy and "have regard for His covenant"... outrageous!!! They are asking Him to honor something they broke a million times over. How often do we do this? how often do we ask God to show mercy where mercy should not be shown... keeping in mind that this all happened before Jesus' amazing sacrifice makes me immensely happy for the mercy we now receive!

No comments:

Post a Comment