I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Monday, November 29, 2010

Isaiah 54-58

We begin with a promise of Zion. There is a poignant story of a barren woman who will be redeemed and her house will fill larger than she can manage. Of promises fulfilled, of cities rebuilt, of tyranny and terror wiped from the earth. I take great comfort in knowing that the daily burdens and fears will all be nothing compared to what's coming. It's so hard to stay focused sometimes though...as a control freak I hate leaving my future in someone else's hands, but whenever I let go of the reigns and just let Him work, it always works out better. Who knows better than the guy who made everything?

55:8 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.

God also briefly touches on the issue of fasting and His intentions for it. He is outraged at the people who just bow their heads and wallow around in sackcloth and ashes and think He will be pleased. He's not stupid--He knows when you're just going through the motions with no heart behind it.

58:9 “If you do away with the yoke of oppression,
with the pointing finger and malicious talk,
10 and if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry
and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,
then your light will rise in the darkness,
and your night will become like the noonday.

What an amazing promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment