I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Friday, September 10, 2010

Day 168: Proverbs 30-31

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Wisely spoken. These words and others in chapter 30 are spoken by an oracle who realizes that he truly knows nothing. He knows his place in the universe and knows that only God if infinite. His words are refreshing and really spoke to me.

What stuck out to me in chapter 31 was a "definition" of a good wife. She instills confidence in her husband, works hard, uses her earnings to plant things for herself, helps provide for her family, gives care to the needy, she is strong and excited about things to come, her children love her and she fears the Lord. Honestly, this woman sounds pretty BA to me and has so many qualities I strive to have. I love that the verse does not have a tone that suggests a woman should remain in the shadows and submit. Instead, she is to be at the husband's right hand, earning money of her own and making her own decisions, has wisdom and strength to get through hard times and keeps her family together... this chapter is going in my back pocket for days that I question my purpose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment