I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Day 161: Psalms 134, 146-150

I like to think that this grouping of Psalms is a pouring out from the people to God after the Temple is complete. Google tells me that these were written after the Exile and are called the "Hallelujah Psalms"... quite fitting I think :)

God's power is outlined and then all of creation is incited to rise up and praise. How can we not praise as a simple response to all that He has done for us? So many Psalms talk about inanimate objects praising and worshiping--rocks, trees, mountains. Obviously they are not literally shouting out loud, but just the simple sway of tree branches, the soft sound of a creek flowing over the rocks below, the snowfall on top of a mountain... they are all working the way God created them to. Can you imagine what a world this would be if WE worked the way we were created to?

As a kid, I learned my "purpose" in life from the Catechisms... my job is to glorify God and enjoy Him forever. This is what I was created to do. I definitely don't do it perfectly, or even well on most days,. But am freed by the simple fact that I don't have to do it perfectly, God doesn't expect that of me and loves me for who I am. This is not something that is attained, but should be a daily struggle...in the meantime, I will focus on not letting a rock outdo me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment