I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day 126: 2 Samuel 8-9, 1 Chronicles 18

I have yet again fallen behind... only 2 days this time though! Since Monday I've been fighting off a nasty summer cold which I am convinced is so much worse than a winter cold... who wants to be sick when its beautiful outside?! Took Tuesday off work and barely made it to lunch yesterday without having to go back to bed... Every day I'm feeling better... slowly but surely :)

David's conquests are listed... and they are many. He even plays an old school version of "eeny, meeny, miny, moe" by laying down all the men in an opposing army, measuring off the length of a cord and allowing everyone in each 3rd length to live... I don't know about you but I'd be sweating bullets to see where I fell in the cord length!

What's great is that David gives all the glory and riches back to the Lord. It could be so easy to claim them for himself. David remember's Jonathon's amazing kindness to him and seeks out his only remaining son--a cripple. He blesses him with riches and requests his presence at his table for the rest of his days... can you imagine being a cripple, an outcast, someone no one wants, and being revered by the king and asked to eat at his table???

David is so far proving himself to be the man God wants him to be. He rules with justice and a keen eye for the underdog. He gives back to God and seeks out ways to help the poor... Before now, I have only known a bird's eye view of who David was. I'm so glad to be learning so much about such an important character in Biblical history.

1 comment:

  1. God flipping David's life is something that students of Beth Moore's 'Esther' like to call "Reversal of Destiny." It is so refreshing to know...and believe...that God can take anything--He can take nothing--and use it in a BIG way for His glory.

    ReplyDelete