I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Day 124: 2 Samuel 7; 1 Chronicles 17

David feels convicted that he is living in a house while the Ark of God dwells in a tent. God gives his servant Nathan a vision to relay back to David: basically, God says that he cannot be contained in a house, nor does that mean anything to Him. He's been on the move from place, dwelling in a tent and has never asked for a house, so why should He have one now? God also promises that He will never remove His love for David like He did for Saul. David responds in humility and doesn't understand why God chose to bring him up to this amazing position.

I think it's endearing that David is concerned that he is living in a better dwelling than God. But he is thinking in earthly terms. The Ark in no way contains God and it doesn't make a difference where it dwells. God reminds David that while his thoughts are sweet, they are completely unnecessary and puts things back into perspective for him. I know that I have often gotten ideas into my head that I thought would be sweet only to learn that I was way off base... sometimes you just need a loving push to get you back in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment