I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Day ninety-fine: Judges 16-18

At this point, Samson has ticked just about everyone off with his brute strength and has made a lot of enemies. He meets and falls for Delilah who is bribed into finding out what the secret to his strength is. He told her several times how he can be weakened, each time he breaks free from his bonds and Delilah is mad that she has been made a fool. Then she finally breaks through...

15 Then she said to him, "How can you say, 'I love you,' when you won't confide in me? This is the third time you have made a fool of me and haven't told me the secret of your great strength." 16 With such nagging she prodded him day after day until he was tired to death.

He confides in her that he has never cut his hair (in pops an image of Fabio...). She subdues him and has his hair cut while he is sleeping. The Philistines are not able to capture him and gouge out his eyes (OUCH). He is placed in prison and occasionally brought out to entertain them. When he has had enough, he prays to God for one last feat of strength and brings their temple down--killing many along with himself.

Samson's story intrigues me. He seems like a simple caveman--killing and taking what he wants but with the consent of God. He gives into a wily temptress and this ultimately is the death of him. I will have to think a bit about what the moral of this story is... to be discussed later.

This is an unruly time in the land. They are without a king and everyone does as they see fit. The story of Micah is told and how his house is raided without a second thought and he is left with nothing. Lands left without someone to govern become chaotic and desolate. I can only imagine that the people are praying for a light at the end of the tunnel.

1 comment:

  1. If I am ever captured for some reason and tortured...please, don't let anyone gouge out my eyes. At church this past Sunday, the sermon was on being careful of drifting away. We discussed Lot, Simon Peter, and Samson. Samson's story cuts deep on how easily Satan lures us in with a desire (Delilah) and before we know it, we have drifted from God.

    ReplyDelete