I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Friday, May 7, 2010

Day sixty-five: Numbers 26-27

I'm leaving for Florida today due to a death in the family so I'm going to read ahead. I figured out how to schedule blog posts so I'm reading and writing from today-Monday and this amazing contraption will post a new one each day as I scheduled it. Pretty cool huh?

A second census is taken and its obvious that the group's numbers have severely decreased since the last census. The Levites are left out again and kept as separate. It is mentioned that all of the original census takers are dead except for Moses, Caleb and Joshua.Each family is to be granted land according to the number of families in their tribe. The issue of inheritance is discussed--if a man has no sons, the goods will go to his daughters; if he has no children, the goods will go to his brothers; the goods will then continue down the line to family members. Seems fair to me!

Finally, God decides to appoint Joshua as a leader over all the people. He is chosen and commissioned before the people as a holy leader and all are expected to obey his guidance. Up until now, we haven't really heard much from Joshua. I remember watching the old school Charlton Heston version of the Ten Commandments and Joshua played a pretty big role. But I can't recall him being mentioned until this point. But I'm excited to see how God will use him… I know at this point they are camping near Jericho and I remember the story of the walls of Jericho, but sadly my memory has crumbled and I'm ready to read the story again!

No comments:

Post a Comment