I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day seventy-eight: Deuteronomy 24-27

And the random laws continue, and again you won't be disappointed:
  • a newlywed can't be sent to war or have any other duties placed upon him; he's just supposed to to enjoy his wife for a year--totally wish Travis and I could afford to do this!
  • kidnappers must be killed--doesn't seem very "eye for an eye"...
  • don't take advantage of someone just because they are poor--I am again loving this theme
  • each man dies for their own sin, fathers cannot take their sons place and vice versa--foreshadowing??
  • always look out for the alien, the fatherless and the widow--God was always a big fan of the underdog... and I dig that
  • don't muzzle your ox while its treading out the grain--DUH!
  • brothers are to marry their sister-in-law if the other brother dies--I love Patrick Torrey, but totally not in that way :) If the man refuses the marry her, he must take off his sandals and his descendants shall forever be known as "The Family of the Unsandaled"--dun dun dunuunnnnn!!!! I'm sure back then this was a huge deal for them, but now it just makes me giggle.
  • Had to quote this one, just too good to paraphrase- 11 If two men are fighting and the wife of one of them comes to rescue her husband from his assailant, and she reaches out and seizes him by his private parts, 12 you shall cut off her hand. Show her no pity.
After crossing into Canaan. the people to build an altar and inscribe every single word of this law onto it. If I were them I probably would have said "not it!" and delegated. But as stubborn as they have been, it would probably do them some good to write it all out and have it staring them in the face every day.

As I read through all these laws and rules, I imagine a very vivid scene: All of the people are sitting on a hilltop just listening to Moses and they can see the Jordan and Canaan just beyond--glimmering like the Emerald City in Oz and all they can do is sit and wait for Moses to stop giving instruction. As ADD as I am, I would have zoned out hours ago! I'm sure its not all going down as I imagine, but reading it all together like this makes it seem like Moses is rambling and the people just wanna get there. Hopefully they aren't as impatient as I think!

No comments:

Post a Comment