I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day twenty-nine: Genesis 48-50

The last of Genesis...

Just before Jacob dies, he fulfills a prophesy that was made when Joseph's sons were born. The younger was placed over the elder and all of the future offspring was blessed. To me, this is a simple reminder of a very present theme throughout the Bible--the first shall be last. Jacob calls his 12 sons together and blesses them according to their lot. He has some great things to say about some of his sons, others...not so much. I would never like my father to refer to me as a ravenous wolf!!

Joseph obeys his father's dying wish and buried him in the land of his forefathers. The Egyptians even help to embalm him and travel to bury him. Its cool to see the Egyptians embrace Joseph as their own--just one of the many ways God provides for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment