I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Monday, April 5, 2010

Day thirty-three: Exodus 10-12

1 Then the LORD said to Moses, "Go to Pharaoh, for I have hardened his heart and the hearts of his officials so that I may perform these miraculous signs of mine among them 2 that you may tell your children and grandchildren how I dealt harshly with the Egyptians and how I performed my signs among them, and that you may know that I am the LORD."

God is using all of this affliction to being glory to his name...lightbulb moment!

The locust come and destroy anything that wasn't killed from the hail. Even Pharaoh's officials are starting to try and talk some sense into him; "Egypt is destroyed!", they cry to him. THe plague of darkness comes next and I read something that I had never realized before. "...darkness will spread over Egypt—darkness that can be felt." It gives me the impression that this is no ordinary darkness we are talking about. I have never experienced darkness that can be "felt", and I hope I never have to!! The Israelites are again spared from all of this. Pharaoh starts using a bargaining chip. First he says, "ok you can go, but only the men", then he tries "ok, all the humans, just leave the livestock". With Moses, its all or nothing so the plague of the firstborn is brought upon the land. THe israelites are instructed to take a lamb and paint its blood on the door frame of their houses. This will signal to God as the passes through to not lay a hand on anyone in the household. Thus begins the celebration of Passover.

This is the final straw (every single Egyptian lost someone that night) and Pharaoh not only lets the people go--he demands it. The Israelites leave according to the prophesy given by God years before. It must have been such a bittersweet moment... finally being freed from the bonds of slavery, but embarking on a journey into unknown territory and having to rely solely on God. What a strange and beautiful night it must have been!

No comments:

Post a Comment