I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day thirty-six: Exodus 19-21

They reach Mount Sinai and I am made aware of something I never fully understood. Before Moses every receives the 10 Commandments, God shows Himself to the people. All of the people are gathered at the base of the mountain and there thunder and lightening and the entire mountain is engulfed in flames and smoke. It says the mountain "trembles"... I don't know about you, but this is certainly an image that would be burned in my brain forever. How can you be so close to God, to feel his strength and might and later blatantly disobey His commands???

Moses and Aaron are allowed to go up the mountain while everyone else has to stay down. I would have been scared to death to even stand near the mountain, let alone climb it. Here is where they receive the 10 Commandments. God also elaborates on several of them...most of this I had never heard before:

~Anyone who commits intentional murder = death
~Anyone who attacks their parents = death
~Anyone who kidnaps = death
~Anyone who hits another person but doesn't kill him is ok, just has to make sure they guy eventually gets back up
~Any men who accidentally hit a pregnant woman in a fight and cause her to go into pre-mature labor must pay her husband for the damages (how exactly is that compensated?!?!)
~Any slave owner who damages an eye or tooth of a slave must let them go free
~Any bull owner whose bull "gores" someone to death is not responsible unless said bull has a history of goring and the owner has been warned. Either way, the bull gets stoned
~Anyone who digs a pit that someone's livestock falls into must pay the owner for his losses

I'm not gonna lie, the part about the bull goring someone and the thought of a goat falling into a hole that someone dug kind of made me chuckle. Not to be morbid, I am just wondering why God chose to elaborate on these specific items and not others. He makes no elaboration of adultery, the Sabbath, lying, stealing, etc. but he goes into great detail and murder and personal injury. Perhaps He was pointing out things that were very applicable to the poeple at the time, something that they could all relate to. I mean, come on, who of us hasn't had a bull gore someone?? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment