I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Day thirty-one: Exodus 4-6

God shows Moses signs that He will use if the people do not believe God sent Moses. Then comes a very touching exchange. Moses tells God he is nothing, he's not eloquent and is slow and could never lead a nation. God responds with:"Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the LORD ? 12 Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say."Still a little nervous about his job, God allows Moses to bring his brother Aaron for back-up. There have been many times in my life where I wondered where in the world I get get the strength to face a challenge or just make it through the day. I know how Moses must have felt and love that feeling after the fact that I had nothing to do with conquering my challenge--it was all the Big Guy :)

God tells Moses what to say, but also tells him that He will harden Pharaoh's heart so that he will not let the people go...what's up with that? I'm assuming this is another one of those times where God knows the outcome, but is going to make the people go through hell to realize the full extent of what's going on.

The first time Moses makes his petition, Pharaoh stops providing the slaves with straw but demands the same amount of bricks. They are beaten and tormented when the output is not the same. The people get a little angry at Moses and Aaron for stepping in and bringing this upon them. God reassures M & A and they go to the people and tell of God's promise. They are too busy lamenting over their situation to listen. God tells M&A to go back to Pharaoh and make their petition again. They are a little skeptical--if their own people won't listen to them, why in the world would their enemy?!

God is just setting all of this up for a beautiful, perfect plan. I would love to be a fly on the wall when it all unfolds...

No comments:

Post a Comment