I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Day forty-nine: Leviticus 16-18

After the death of Aaron's two foolish sons, God makes it very clear that Atonement must be made before Aaron is to enter the Temple. He must go through a ritual that atones for himself, his family and the people. It is again interesting to see the contrast of how a man is used to intercede for the people before Jesus came. The ritual that the Lord demands is to be done once a year for the atonement of the Israelites sins. I am again reminded of the intense grace that has been given to me. That Jesus would lay down his own life once for the coverage of all sins so that rituals like this are made obsolete.

God touches on making offerings not to God..anyone who does so is to be cut off from the people. He wants them to realize that He is the only one they are to be sacrificing to.

God then lays out the rules for appropriate sexual conduct:
  • Don't sleep with a relative
  • Don't sleep with a man as one would with a woman
  • Don't sleep with animals
God tells them that if they do any of these things He will "vomit them out"... nice imagery. These are more ways that God is trying to set His people apart. Even though they are heading towards Canaan and intending to inhabit it one day, they are not to partake in the ways that the Canaanites choose to live. They are to be a living example to the world so that people wonder what is different.

This makes me think back to how many times I had the opportunity to act different and set myself apart as an example, and instead went with the flow. Ashamed. Discouraged. Embarrassed. Weak. Thank goodness for a gracious, loving, merciful God who knows my heart and sees me at my weakest and still says "that one right there, she is mine!" Brings me to a MercyMe song that I am loving right now...

Covered by your love divine
Child of the risen Lord
To hear you say "This one's mine"
My heart is spoken for...

1 comment:

  1. I am right there with you going with the flow and not being set apart. I love that God's grace rains down on us and washes us white as snow. Thank you for sharing all of this with us!

    ReplyDelete