I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Day fifty-three: Leviticus 26-27

The last passages of Leviticus. I'm not going to lie this moment is bittersweet. While I love the meaning and depth of the book, its a tough read. There are a lot of laws that are repeated multiple times and rituals that are given in such detail that its hard to wade through it all. But I am so glad to see how the church has evolved since then and to see how God's provision and guidance changes.

God explains that following His laws will come with reward: good crops, rain, lots of babies, enemies will flee, etc. In the same light, there will be punishment for those who do not obey the laws. The most intense passage is "I will bring upon you sudden terror, wasting diseases and fever that will destroy your sight and drain away your life."... no thank you. If you want to read the whole butt whoopin part, check out Lev 26:17-39... pretty intense stuff.

The last portion is about devoting people, animals and land to the Lord. He basically lays out what each thing is worth and what the appropriate way to handle it is. What I wasn't a fan of, was that men were always worth more than women. I'm not really a feminist.. but I'm just sayin that women (especially those back then) put up with some nasty situations and conditions that modern women take for granted. I won't go into detail for those with a weak stomach, but they could have bumped our value up just a teensy bit.

Time to get off my soapbox. The book of Numbers is next and I would be lying if I said I was looking forward to it. But its part of my journey so I will take it on if I must. I apologize for the next couple of posts if they seem boring or confusing. Numbers can tend to be a boring and confusing book.

2 comments:

  1. I have a feeling that you will no longer find Numbers boring and confusing. God might just make it your favorite book...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fortunately the end of the story in the New Testament is that we all are equal in worth in Christ, male and female.

    ReplyDelete