I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day fifty-six: Numbers 5-6

I apologize if things seem to be jumping around to random subjects in each reading. I am a but confused myself sometimes how we go from talking about cheating wives to spiritual consecration, but all in all, I am learning a lot!

The camp is purified by sending out anyone who is ill or has an infectious disease. I am again confused about why God is shunning these precious people. The only thing I can think of is that He is doing it for the safety and health of the others, but the way it is phrased makes them seem like the scum of the earth for getting sick.

The priests are also given a nice trick to know if a woman is being unfaithful. If a man suspects his wife is cheating, a priest makes her drink a bitter water--if she becomes barren, she cheated; if she bears children, she didn't cheat. Seems like a long time to wait to see if she was actually cheating or not.. but I guess they had a lot of time. Also, no mention is made to tell if a man was cheating... just sayin...

The passage then talks about taking a Nazirite vow. Google tells me that the Hebrew word for Nazir means separated or consecrated. If a person wants to consecrate himself to God, he or she must abstain from booze, haircuts or funerals (even if its your own parents) for an allotted amount of time. After the time is up, you go to the Temple, give an offering, and shave your head. The main point is that this was something that anyone could volunteer to do. It is a time to abstain from distractions and set yourself apart for a time to consecrate yourself wholly to God. After the time is up, you give an offering of thanks. Kind of like lent but with a lot more meaning and value (giving up your parents funeral versus giving up soda...think about it)

Moses is then given a blessing to give to the people. I have heard this as a benediction after church more times than I can count... and I love it every time.

"The LORD bless you
and keep you;

25 the LORD make his face shine upon you
and be gracious to you;

26 the LORD turn his face toward you
and give you peace."

Have an outrageously blessed day everyone!

1 comment:

  1. With ya on that cheating guy thing...but, if a woman cheated and got pregnant, she could be giving her husband's name and inheritance to the child of a stranger. Pretty serious thing then....although God didn't condone the guy fornicating either. Another place it talks about stoning both of them if she named her partner.

    ReplyDelete