I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day three: Genesis 8-11

I had a crazy busy weekend, but am not going to let that stop me from my mission!! I was unable to read and report on Saturday and Sunday, but will make up the slack today :)

We start out with Noah waiting for the flood waters to recede. The faith and perseverance him and his family must have had astounds me. One of my favorite parts has to be when the dove is released and comes back with an olive branch. During that time, an olive branch was seem as an offering of peace. The branch along with the dove is such a poignant reminder to Noah to remain faithful and calm while the waters receded.

From what I have read, animals were off limits for eating up until this point. In the garden, God gives Adam and Eve all the plants of the earth to eat, but makes no mention of the animals. This passage is the first time eating of animals in mentioned as "ok"..."Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything". After which Noah is told to not eat anything that still has its "lifeblood" in it. From what I can find, this basically is God's way of teaching them to prepare and cook meat before they eat it to avoid illness (something that had to be taught since they had never eaten meat before).

When God creates the covenant between Himself and man to never again flood the earth, he puts a rainbow in place as a reminder of this covenant. I like that when God is explaining this to Noah, He says that He will put out the rainbow whenever it rains as a reminder to Himself as well as Noah. Now, I think we all know that God doesn't need a reminder, but I think its cool that He put it in such terms so that our human brains feel a little bit better about it all.

The last mention of Noah is about him planting a vineyard, getting drunk on wine and passing out naked. His oldest finds him and leaves him naked while telling his two brothers all about it. They proceed to cover him and receive a blessing while the other son receives curses. An interesting part of the Noah saga, but still learning why its relevant...

The last look of these passages is the Tower of Babel in which God creates all the languages of the earth. I'm wondering why God didn't create everyone speaking different languages to begin with. He knew they would build a city and tower, and then later inflicted them with different types of speech. Jut another time where God knew what was going to happen and let us go our own way for a time until he corrected it...

No comments:

Post a Comment