I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Day sixteen: Genesis 12-15

So starts the story of Abram. He leaves his home and everything he knows to travel across the country with his nephew and wife because the Lord told him to. The whole time he's traveling, God is reassuring him of his future blessings: I will grant all this land to you and your offspring; your enemies will be my enemies, your friends, my friends; I will make your name great and people will be blessed just by knowing you. Because of my faith, I know that God is on my side, but how great would it be to have Him actually telling you these amazing things?!?!

God blesses Abram and Lot so much that they have to split paths because the land can't support all of them at once. This seems like a positive problem :) I didn't think anyone could ever be TOO blessed, but these two just might take the cake. But trouble in paradise comes when there is a rebellion against one of the kings over the lands and Lot is kidnapped and his possessions seized. But no worries, Abram is so blessed he just calls on the 300+ warriors he just happens to know and they get everything back.

Abram starts getting a little inquisitive as God keeps telling him his offspring will be great, but he's still yet to produce a child. God tells him to count the stars...cause that's how great his offspring is going to be. Abram asks how he can be sure that he will receive the land promised to him. The Lord gives him a sign as a covenant promise that Abram will receive everything coming to him. He tells him that his descendants will suffer and be enslaved for 4 generations, but after their trials they will rewarded beyond measure.

I just love the theme that has been recurring throughout everything I have read so far--God allows trials to happen knowing full well what will come from them. We just have to be patient, faithful and endure in order to receive our blessing. God is good all the time, all the time God is good!!

No comments:

Post a Comment