I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day seventeen: Genesis 16-18

This portion of scripture has always baffled me. Sarai gives her servant Hagar to Abram to bear children. Then when Hagar conceives, she resents Sarai and Sarai treats her like crap. What blows my mind is that Sarai even had the idea in the first place. I am always conflicted about this...are her actions mistrusting of God's provisions, or is she simply being proactive and in turn following God's will? Sometimes I know that the Lord works through others to bring about his will, is this one of those cases, or is Sarai just jumping the gun trying to get a leg up on starting the long line of descendants they have been promised? Later in the reading, Sarah (now called that) even laughs out loud at the idea that she will bear a son in her old age.

Chapter 17 is all about circumcision and the covenant God established with those who are circumcised. I'm not really going to comment other than the fact that even the adults had to get circumcised...Abraham was 99 at this point...ouchies!

God reveals to Abraham his plans for Sodom and Gomorrah. He pleads to not kill any righteous with the wicked. He basically talks the Lord down to not destroying the city at all if he can find just 10 righteous men there....TEN in the ENTIRE city! Seems pretty fair right?

No comments:

Post a Comment