I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day seven: Job 14-16

I've reached an epiphany moment in this reading. Halfway through Job's continual lamenting, Eliphaz replies to him yet again. Job's response is basically, "do you never shut up? I just wanna say my peace but you just won't shut up!". Sometimes, when we face trials, we want to know how to fix it and seek out advice. Other times, we just want to vent about it and have an eager listener. That is what Job is wanting out of this all along. His friends sat in silence with him for a week, but then when he started crying out, they didn't just let him talk it out.

This is such an applicable story to anyone!! When Travis and I were going through pre-marital counseling (or as his roommates called it "Pre-Marital Success counseling"--PMS :)), Travis learned a valuable lesson. Girls like to vent, and guys like to fix. Sometimes the girls don't want fixing, they just want to be heard. Job is doing the same thing here, he just wants to be heard! The power of solidarity in silence is a very powerful thing that every good friend, wife, husband, companion, family member, etc. should master. Today I pray to be a better listener.

No comments:

Post a Comment