I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day four: Job 1-5

Job has always been a personal hero of mine... but I had never read the entire story in detail so I was missing out on a crucial person--Job's BFF Eliphaz. When Job gets down, Eli rebukes and builds him up in an amazing "sermon".

Job was living a cush life until he caught Satan's eye. God let Satan take away his crops, animals and children and he responds with "you give and take away, I will bless your name". Then Satan personally afflicts him. His wife is telling him to stop acting crazy and denounce God. His response? "We accept good from God, why not accept the bad?" He never curses God, but does grieve and cry out. During his mourning, his friends sit in silence with him for 7 days... I can name a few friends that would do that with me and I count myself blessed to be able to say that :) He begins to curse the day he was born and ask why he was even allowed to live if he was just going to face all this turmoil. Then his genius friend Eli says, "hey, you may not like this, but I gotta say it... how many lives have you touched? How much glory have you brought to God? From what I've seen, God never strikes the righteous down, so hang in there buddy!" My favorite quote from his long "sermon" has got to be in Job 5:18--"For he wounds, but he also binds up; he injures, but his hands also heal". If you haven't read this story, do yourself a favor and read it. If you are feeling lonely or abandoned, read Job 4 and 5 (Eliphaz's sermon) and take comfort in knowing that the God who allowed affliction to befall Job will never leave you and is only giving you these momentary troubles to strengthen and build your character!

1 comment:

  1. I always have to laugh at people who talk about the "patience of Job"....he was faithful to God....but keep reading...patient he wasn't. Can you blame him with friends like those??? I read this passage the day before I received my cancer diagnosis in 2002. Shall we accept blessing from the Lord and not adversity (v2) had special meaning....also, the Lord gave and the Lord has taken away, may the name of the Lord be praised from (v1)!!!! It really helped me not respond like Job's wife who said "Curse God and die!".

    ReplyDelete