I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Monday, March 8, 2010

Day five: Job 6-9

The saga of Job continues...

After Eli's eloquent speech, Job feels the need to respond. He asks God to bring death and goes on and on about how miserable to terrible his life is. He has forgotten how good he had it and how much support he still has--all this time his friends are still there, yet he complains that his friends are wishy-washy and have left him. Another friend gives a speech (not quite as good as Eli's) again rebuking him for his bitter words and reminding him that God will never leave the righteous. Job then asks "how can a mortal be righteous". This my friends, is a very good question. One I don't think I could even try to answer...

Job clarifies some of his other lamentations which is good because it cleared up some of my questions. He feels that he has no right to question the work of God. His life sucks, yes, but he simply wants death or wants to know what he did wrong so he can fix it--but he never questions God actual actions. So many people try to taunt God and summon an answer, but Job never does this...and I like that. There is also some foreshadowing of Jesus in the last portion of this reading...Job wishes for someone to arbitrate between him and the Lord so that God will no longer strike him with affliction. Its kind of cool knowing that very soon, this amazing mediator will come! Too bad Job didn't know that...but I guess that's kind of the point.

No comments:

Post a Comment