I'm on a journey to read through the Bible in chronological order. Taking it one day at a time, I will read based on a list I found on the internet and blog about what happened, thoughts provoked, emotions conjured, etc. Enjoy!

Friday, March 19, 2010

Day fifteen: Job 40-42

The story of Job comes to a conclusion...

Job admits to God that he's got nothin'. He thought he had things to say, but realizes he should keep his mouth shut. God challenges him again by asking him if he could tame a behemoth or take a crocodile as a pet. As no man of the time would ever even consider doing these things, how much more of a dumb idea is it to challenge God? God points out that He is accountable to no man and owes us nothing. I love this reminder becuase it makes me think back to all the blessings I have received in my short lifetime and realize how much God does for us simply because he WANTS to, not because he HAS to!

Job's response is simple,

2 "I know that you can do all things;
no plan of yours can be thwarted.

3 You asked, 'Who is this that obscures my counsel without knowledge?'
Surely I spoke of things I did not understand,
things too wonderful for me to know.

The Lord then blesses Job twice as much as he had been blessed before. I think the main thing to take away from all of this is not that Job was patient (I just read what felt like 100 chapters that proves contrary), but that Job persevered. Job was not perfect (although he sometimes thought he was), but he handled his trials with about as much dignity as one could have. Yes it was miserable, yes it was hard, yes he complained, but in the end he learned a valuable lesson that blessed him beyond comparison and enriched his relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment